Alexander Stopher's Portfolio

Welcome to my portfolio!
Source code has been provided where possible (for some projects this isn't possible as moderation of marks needs to occur for University work, etc.).

Why "s5s"? This is the "studio" name I use for University-related projects, which stands for "Studio Five Studios", and the ".gg" domain is used because Guernsey is my birthplace (not due to "gg" being a phrase gamers use!).


Wildscribe Game Multiplayer Transcription | 2021 (ongoing)


For my dissertation project, I aimed to answer the question of whether it’s possible to transcribe the speech of others in a VoIP channel (e.g. a Discord voice channel) and pipe it within a game window without any significant latency or UX issues.
At this stage (the end of March 2021), the answer is “probably yes?”- at the moment I am still unsure as to what the answer is (due to changing core elements of the project due to research determining these core elements would not work as-is) however my hypothesis is that it will turn out to be “no, but could work with cooperation from certain service providers.

This will be updated with a link to its own dedicated page, and may be open-sourced depending on the state of the project’s code (please bear in mind that this is a research project, a working system at the end is not guaranteed).


Raygine CPU-Based Ray Tracer | 2021 (ongoing)


Created using C++, a multithreaded CPU-based ray-tracer that creates a simple ray-traced scene. Uses a BVH (Bounding Volume Hierarchy), however did not have time to add the intended antialiasing, lighting, shadows, materials, and texturing.
Performance is reasonable, taking around 200ms-300ms on a 4th-generation mobile Intel i7.

Will be open-sourced upon completion of my degree.


Charon Game Engine, DirectX-based Render Pipeline Demo | 2021 (ongoing)


A DirectX-based render pipeline integrated into a game-engine context, utilising single vertex and constant buffers for performance.

Will be open-sourced upon completion of my degree.


Stack Up! | 2019


Created using the Unity engine utilising Vuforia, an AR mobile game based on the game rules of Tetris and Bejeweled.
Try to knock out other players by thwarting their attempts to get a row of the same colour! Work with or against other players to combat others.

Source code unavailable (due to the repository having been removed).


Flatline Digital | 2019


Created using the ASGE framework in C++, a multiplayer networked digitisation of a board game we made in a group in one of my other University modules.
Manage a hospital’s accident and emergency department, ensuring that patients go to the right area for treatment- if the patient does not make it in time, they die!

Source code unavailable (due to the repository having been removed).


The Entity | 2018


A game level created in Unreal, for a University assignment.

You’re a policeman who has travelled to a remote Scottish island community to investigate a series of bizarre disappearances and unbeknownst to you, you’re about to be propelled into the most advanced realms of the modern world when you find out that the genetics research facility that owns the island has been conducting highly illegal genetics research, using the island community as unwitting test subjects.

When trying to create super-humans via the DNA of a captured being from another world, this being ("The Entity") seizes control and is now in control of the entire island.
Will the Entity allow them to investigate and leave the island, and will the player find the victims alive or dead?

Level design document. (please respect copyright)


Haunted House | 2018


A copy of the Haunted House BASIC game created for a University assignment, programmed in the ASGE framework and C++.
Used a console-based system created with the framework, as well as a mini-map. A combined playthrough of the original BASIC version of the game (left) and the C++ version (right) can be seen here.

Source code unavailable (due to the repository having been removed).


Wildfire Constellation | 2015 - 2021


I built in the C# programming language a networked system that could replace a legacy networking system for a game that had been terminated a year prior (GameSpy). This worked well, with a peak of 2,100 concurrent users online, 2,700 user profiles (N.B. multiple profiles could be linked to a single email address, so this is not a measure of unique users), and 15 different community gameservers utilising the system.

In September 2018, the system has processed an estimated 2.1b client queries, consumed 5.2TB (estimated) of bandwidth, and had 2,564 registered users worldwide.

Due to a decline in users the system was shut down in February of 2021.

Source code unavailable (proprietary code where releasing could create a security risk).


©2021 Alexander Stopher, please respect the included licences of source code (where provided)